porfolio 21

The following pictures are just a few of our projects completed from 2013 until 2016. To follow our current projects and to learn more about the hobby, view over 1500 videos on our Instagram account
Randall holding up a stone with 1 finger !
This is your classic homemade waterfalls which typically is not supported properly and usually lacks aesthetics. Sadly, this waterfall actually collapsed one winter, killing some of the fish. Despite the spatial constraints we were able to use our tripod hoist and move the large stones out, pour a footing and reasemble the falls in a please manner...
  • With no support, this waterfall eventually fell into the pond
  • This key tool allows us to handle large stone in tight spaces
  • A concrete pad was installed and now the waterfall is properly supported
This was a very large project completed in the Fall of 2016. 20 x 22 pond, 6 feet deep with bottom drain, jets etc. The big challenge however, was the large stone wall the client wanted. We had to also set up a block wall behind the stone, and complete for the most part 1 course at a time. A custom built heavy duty metal support had to be sourced to hold the heavy stone above the 4 foot spillway...
  • This was a big project from the Fall of 2017
  • The Spillway required a specially made cap piece to protect it
  • These fish moved from 1200 gallons to over 6K !
The is a great modification for those who have filterfalls. The normal process of cleaning is to remove all the media and perhaps shopvac which is arduous. By installing a simple drain, this can be opened with the pump still on, and the media washed out right in the filterfalls chamber itself. A thorough, quick cleaning using pond water and getting ride of all the sediment...
  • First we dug out access to the base of the filter falls
  • A uniseal is simple to install and leak proof
  • Now the client can run the pump and clean out the media while draining it at the same time

The client originally asked us to replace the 1 cracked stone with a new one. The waterfalls contains no less than 3 types of stone which will almost never look right. So I recommended we pull it apart and rebuild a higher falls using granite, the same type of stone around the perimeter...
  • On first glance, this waterfall wasn't all it could be
  • We ripped it apart
  • The completed waterfall, higher and with the same type of stone
Below are 3 ponds built over the last few years. The first is built with cascade stone. The second is formal and quite deep for its size. The final one is informal using armour stone...
  • This was a rebuilt to improve filtration and make the pond larger. Some older koi make their home here
  • This small formal pond was build in 2013 and houses a few koi and goldfish
  • The pond is almost ready to be started up. I particularly like the stone coming out of the water
This pond was a fresh build in 2016. The nice feature was integrating the liner right into the existing patio. I often see the design flaw with stone placed beside a patio - the look is just too heavy...
  • Integrating the pond with the patio was key
  • Doing some edging work - the overflow is in this location
  • My favourite waterfalls are those made with limestone

Here are a few more projects, the first being a large one up in Mount Albert. Leaking pond with a poor waterfalls so everything was redone. The 2nd was a small pond for a few goldfish with a nice splash rock. Third is a koi pond with bottom drain, jets and we moved the fish to this new home when it was ready...
  • Meeting with a client before we started the rebuild. Fall of 2015, lots of videos of this project on instagram
  • This project was a small pond with a spill rock that we drilled
  • This pond was built in pontypool, Summer of 2015 - the second pond for these clients
This was a large project - good sized pond with bottom drain, vortex, skimmer, jets, lighting etc. It was completed during the Summer of 2015. The plants notably took off in 2016 as we were there servicing the pond...
  • This pond is about 18 x 12 in size with a bottom drain built in the Summer of 2015
  • The flow rates are fully adjustable with valves
  • Lighting really brings the pond alive at night
Although our tripod hoist cost over 3k with block and tackle, it has proved very valuble in moving heavy stones in tight quarters. Although slower than a backhoe, their are no acess issues and lawn damage using the hoist so it is often the better choice...
  • This project is a small pondless waterfall
  • This is a massive piece of limestone. We were able to raise it up easily with the hoist in order to get the liner underneath
  • This was a massive stone we were able to lift to adjust the liner

This was a small project as we turned a small pond into a pondless waterfall feature. The pond was leaking, and the clients were tired of caring for the fish but still wanted the sound of water. We found quite a few holes in the liner as we took things apart...
  • The hoist is helping us safely pull the larger stones out
  • All the rocks are out, time to install the liner
  • The almost completed job, just some cosmetics left